Friday 15 November 2013

Inspiring Anger

This morning I spent a pleasant hour going through the November issue of the Daily Mail's INSPIRE magazine with my CEO. Full of watches and jewellery it’s a lovely source for discovering haute horology and couture pieces from the world of fashion and fine design. Lovely. Except it wasn’t.


Having spent my days studying and working in Product Development and Buying I find it increasingly difficult to look through such publications (Vogue, Elle et al, I mean you) without getting angry. This is not because the products and brands themselves offend me. Indeed I adore looking at the editorials, the artistry and creativity that is inspired by such beautiful craft and luxurious design.

No. It’s not the product, rather the disparity between product and selling price that grinds my gears.

Now I have no problem with looking at a £800 pair of hand crafted brogues that will last 10 years or the £20000 couture gown, cut and sewn in an atelier by highly skilled artisans. The latter is not for me. The former, maybe with my next pay rise.

I work in an industry that has taught me every link in the retail supply chain. I know just how much it costs to bring an item to market and the vast disparity between cost price and selling price. This is how the industry makes money. Fashion is a business and there would be no gorgeous luxury magazines with wares to peddle without the profit. I fully understand this. I also fully understand that some retailers do offer value for money and that extreme craft can come at an extreme price.

What makes me angry though is when a brand takes the piss. And this is what Tom Ford has done.
I just can’t bear it when I see a designer slapping their highly regarded name of a product of little actual value, charging an obscene amount of money for it.

Flipping to the beauty pages of INSPIRE I came across a spread dedicated to the finest Christmas gifts for beauty lovers.  


My eye was caught by YSL’s 24-shade La Laque Couture Colour Collection. Its £395.Pretty steep for a box of nail varnishes but when you consider that buying 24 individual YSL nail varnishes at £18 a pop would set you back £432, the fabulously presented gift boxed set seems excellent value and would keep a nail painter like me busy until next Christmas. It errs just on the right side of excessive.

My dream stocking filler can be purchased exclusively from Selfridges here

Tipping the excess scale however at the top of the page is the Tom Ford Deluxe Brush Set. 12 makeup brushes in one zip-sided portfolio case. This little stocking filler will cost you £650. Six hundred and fifty pounds.



Now nothing that Ford puts his name to could be described as cheap. The man redefined the fashion landscape with his time at Gucci and he has the credentials to charge a hefty sum for his beautifully made clothes, accessories and beauty range. What I can’t bare however is when a man like Ford puts his name to a comparatively basic item and still charges tan obscene price for it.

Are they made from solid gold? Will they give you supermodel looks? Do they have magical healing properties? NO, they’re just makeup brushes you idiot. The margin on this must be at least 85%. At least.

 It's not even leather!

If you bought the brushes individually you would be spending approx. well over £1000 so I suppose comparatively the set is a bargain. But anyone who would spend over £1000 on 12 make-up brushes shouldn’t be allowed control of their finances anyway.

I know value is in the eye of the beholder but it seems the sort of person who would paint their eyes with these overpriced brushes should invest in some glasses. They certainly can't be seeing clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment