Monday 11 November 2013

Salon QP- Watch Wonders



Described as the Top Gear of the watch world, Salon PQ is the palce to go to seek out  the very best new offerings from the world of high-end watches. Held at the Saatchi Gallery in central London the show hosts over 40 watch brands and even had a dedicated Harrods lounge where one could purchase an overpriced cup of tea and even have your timepiece serviced.



It was my first visit to a UK watch event since BaselWorld and, apprehensive to make the visit on my own, I enlisted the help of a non-industry watch-lover friend who was keen to check the new offerings from Maurice Lacroix and a few other brands I’d not yet heard of. Way to show me up man.
 


After receiving a few snubs from the likes of Hermès and Vacheron Constantin (no, I can’t afford to buy your pieces but that doesn’t mean you have to be rude Mr.Salesman), we made a pit stop for an hideously overpriced cup of tea and found our way to the Zenith stand. 

Zenith are a brand I have been aware of for a while and although I’ve never been particularly taken by any of their pieces personally, I respect the heritage and workmanship behind the brand and the contribution Zenith has made to watchmaking since 1865.

Whilst browsing the stand my eye was caught, nay, grabbed, by a diamond encrusted limited edition of the Pilot Montre d'Aéronef Type 20 . 


 The lovely man on the stand (let’s call him Steve), informed me this limited edition will set prospective collectors back roughly £107k (that’s a lot of overpriced cups of tea!) and is one of a very limited run which will not be available for general release.



 
The feeling in my wrist may not return for quite some time...

Like the original Type 20, the movement is a vintage 5011 calibre from the 1960’s which was originally designed to power a highly accurate and durable 57.7mm pocket watch, making this ostentatious, diamond encrusted incarnation all the more fantastic. 



I love how the diamond encrusted case, dial, bezel and crown contradict the functional, durable heritage of the original Type 20. Over the top watchmaking at its finest.

Thanks 'Steve' for letting me try this on and thanks to Salon QP for putting on such a wonderful event. An excellent way to spend a Saturday. See you next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment